Thursday, January 17, 2008

More on "Together"

I finally got a chance to see the exhibit at AOG, "Together, and Artistic Journey," today. I'd half forgotten about it and I was going anyway to unwrap a pot I'm working on (it's a slow drying process), and I was very excited when I remembered what else I would find there. First off, when you approach the front entrance of Arts on Grand, you see two things. On the left side are some of Gilbert and Vodraska's works. My eyes were immediately drawn to the white sculptures in the center--matte white organic shapes. They're buglike and I immediately thought of fossils. Also in this window are other ceramics and paintings. In the OTHER window, lined by a Pollock-esque background, stands a lone Chad Elliot sculpture. OK, so I can't remember what the title was, but it was very romantic (you know, "Romantic," not "lovey-dovey"), and the work itself is a column of extremely Chad Elliot-esque ocean waves, and at the top, a storm-tossed boat. It's got rich color and, as I said, romance, adventure, and great MOVEMENT.

Moving on... upon entering, I was faced with a feast--a visual feast. As a potter, I'm biased (I notice ceramics more than anything else), and I spent most of my time examining the pottery and sculpture. The front area of the show features works from their collection (not for sale). My favorites were the whitish sculptures emerging from African sand. I believe that Marta (AOG Director) was telling me that these works were inspired by the drought and dryness in Africa (the Vodraska's spent much time there), but everyone approaches art from their own experience, and I just kept thinking of fossils. I really like rocks and everything having to do with rocks, so that includes canyons, caves, potholes, and fossils.

Towards the back, their are works for sale. Many of them are smallish enclosed pots (little round pods), some sculpted, some smooth. FLAWLESS glazes. I am rarely interested in glazes and even more rarely impressed with their execution, but these are just perfect. One of my favorites was a coppery/goldish, sleek metallic glaze that was used in several pieces. BTW, these little pods I'm talking about are all very affordable (around $40-$60), for any of you who would like to own original art but aren't made of money.

I'm sorry I'm not very good at describing things. I am pretty sure that no one is going to be able to read this and come away with any idea of what it's really like. Unfortunately I am unable to include photos, but even those wouldn't do justice. This is why it is so important for everyone to go look for themselves. Not only would it enrich and inspire you, it would help out AOG (become a member! buy something in the gift shop!), and AOG is not something we want to lose.

Not to turn this blog entry into more of a ramble than it already is, I'd like to say that Arts on Grand is a really great place to buy gifts. Not only can you buy a work from the "Together" show, you can browse through all sorts of works, from prints, to original drawings and paintings, to scarves and bags, to greeting cards, photography books, ceramics, jewelry, glass works, etc., etc. Things I have bought recently: a print of a pencil drawing, wooden bookmarks, a wooden box, glass icicles, and handmade earrings. There really is something for everyone!

1 comment:

sarah said...

i wish i could see it all, it sounds really great!