Saturday, February 23, 2008

"A Geometry of Space and Time"

Joanne Alberda's current show at Arts on Grand is magnificent. Over-the-top stunning. When, several weeks ago, I was told that the next AOG show was going to me quilts, I have to admit that my first thought was "meh," but the show is far from "meh." The color and shape is great, and I love how she plays with our idea of the medium by matting and framing pieces as if they were paintings. There are also very textural B&W photographs, and big, spare charcoal drawings of seed pods (I am seriously thinking about buying one) that really tie in with some of the shapes found in her quilts.

Show runs till March 24. Artist talk at some point... For more info, call Arts on Grand, 262-4307.



A small quilt on display in the window.



One of these simple charcoal drawings (I guesstimate they're like 2' x 3' but I'm bad with that kind of thing).

No comments: