Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mike Blackwell @ Shaky Tree Tonight

Mike Blackwell (Americana folk musician) is playing at Shaky Tree tonight. It's a good show. I know because I walked by a few times.

The thing is--I don't do "punctual." This has been a problem for me and Shaky Tree events because I also don't do "entering a facility through a door adjacent to a stage during a live show." I mean, I've seen other people do it, but it's not for me. It doesn't help that I know that when I walk in, I'm going to have to find a seat while everyone is looking in my direction, and if I find one, I'll be sitting by myself (because I don't know a soul), and I'm either too scared to get up and get a drink, otherwise I don't happen to have any cash on me if I want to, and therefore I'm sitting by myself with nothing to do with my hands. And that's very awkward. It's easy to see how my track record with these shows doesn't look good.

I really like Spencer a lot (obviously, it inspired me to start a blog about it), and people are really nice, but I don't have any friends. I mean, I literally have not "hung out" with another person on my own without any of my family members present in eight months of living here. I have moved about four times in the last six years and I have never not made friends right away. Part of it is that this is the first time I am not in school, and I guess the older you get, the busier you are. Even with that understaning, it's frustrating. It's no wonder that, yet again, I am chilling at home with the cats instead of enjoying a good show at the neighborhood Tree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hadn't been online much recently, and I assumed that you were out on the town with new friends. You could always come to Ames, though. Especially before I get a job.

PS- Yesterday I left a message on the voice mail of whatever phone you used to call me. In case no one has checked it yet.

Levi Lillie said...

ppssstttt..... Secret door on side of Shaky Tree in the alley where nobody can see you walk in. I come and go all the time. Not to mention since I make the drinks I'd be happy to make you one. No charge if your broke seeing as how I often am too. And as far as seating goes? I'll not only help you find one, I'll save you a seat! Anything to come enjoy some music.