Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spencer Antique Shops

I come from a family of collectors. Not collectors of valuable things (besides my dad's antique fishing lures, some of which I suppose really are quite valuable), just things that we find interesting. Such as my dad's spread of interesting rocks, and shed antlers and skulls from various animals. My mom picks up junk off the street she finds while running and saves it for art projects. I'm the absolute worst one. I've got more stuff than I've got space. Besides my cheap plastic souvenir snowglobe collection (mostly from Paris) and postcards, I collect anything that I find interesting from bowls to books to found photographs to unidentifiable objects, especially things painted gold (gold praying hands salt and pepper shakers, horse head bookends with painted gold manes..). I don't care if it's valuable, as long as it looks interesting, and I generally keep it aaaaall on display, so my space is quite cluttered.

So naturally I love going to antique stores. I've most often frequented MainStreet Mall Antiques, 303 Grand Ave. They have wonderful ceramics from gorgeous art pottery vases to highly collectible press molded mixing bowls. They also have very nice cabinets and display cases, postcards, jewelry, salt and pepper shakers, and a whole section of scotty dog stuff. I love walking by and looking at everything in the window. A few things I have purchases there recently:



Autograph book from the 1940's, filled with rhyming messages of friendship. Was a gift for my friend Sarah, who really connects with that sort of thing, and it really relates to the kind of art she is planning to do for her thesis show in college next year. I also got a beautiful, small warm red cornucopia-shaped Shawnee pottery vase for my other friend Sarah, but I forgot to take a photo.



In accordance with my love of things painted gold--a small icon made in Italy. I'm guessing it's a cheap souvenir item. I have also bought vintage valetines, a "Hawaii" belt buckle from 1976 as a gift for a friend but somehow got lost in the mail, and probably many other things I've forgotten about from this store. It's great.

Anna's Antiques, just south a block or two from MainStreet Mall Antiques also has a nice collection. I've found (but didn't buy) a bright floral laquered coaster set from Japan, a pristine pillbox handbag, picture frames, jewelry, and a variety of other things I think are quite nice. The window display seems to usually be themed. I remember in February, it was maxed out pink and romantic. In the back room is a maze of furniture and odds and ends piled on each other--certainly some quirky items are to be found, including a large display of glass fairies. My first purchase there was this picture, a small print in a black wooden frame:



I know nothing about it but I find the scene intriguing. On my way out the door I spotted the following item:



A wooden hemisphere with a metal coil attached--I'm not sure if it's called a bookend because it is one piece. My mother has one that belonged to one of her grandparents, but hers is smooth black where this one is carved. I'd never seen any others anywhere. It was only $4, if you can believe that. I went right back in and bought it at once.

I used to think that it was Grantiques as in "granny", but finally realized it had more to do with being located on Grand Avenue (307 Grand Ave, to be precise). This is the one with ivy in the window that serves coffee and scrumptious looking sweets. With a high, tin tiled ceiling, this shop has got shelves upon shelves of beautiful things from spurs to light fixtures to fishing lures to books to shoes and so on. In the basement, you'll find rows of chairs and boxes of shoe trees among other things. I find that most things are out of my price range for the time being, but I did find this for $10:



A single owl bookend. Did I mention I collect owls and bookends?

While Goodwill is not an antique store, I'm just going to mention it for a moment because I always see horse toys in antique stores but I can never afford them because they go for $20 or $30. But a couple weeks ago I was in Goodwill and spotted a whole bunch of horse toys for 75 and 50 cents each! So I got two:



Dear readers, I would like to know what you collect, and where are your favorite places to find things?

3 comments:

sarah said...

i like postcards as well, and elephants. although mostly i get mine from other people as gifts. oh, and have i mentioned my book addiction? it's taking over my life!

Smarty said...

i was going to mention that you and grant are book collectors. i can't think of anything else that grant really collects because he is so much less materialistic than we are. i suppose he does collect free promotional, mostly useless junk a lot.

sarah said...

yes, i do collect books. which makes it hard, being in new zealand, because a) even used books are more expensive and b) they are too heavy to carry while travelling. love that i now have a library card!