Saturday, November 3, 2007

Be alert, or you'll miss it.

Some days ago I was flipping through channels and stopped on the Spencer Channel. I was intrigued by a well-dressed string band (unknown to me) playing in what appeared to be someone's living room. For several minutes I watched, studying the white drapes against red walls trying to imagine what this place was, enjoying the music, jealous that my living room wasn't chromatically-schemed so, and infuriated that I hadn't known this was happening and couldn't go back in time to be there myself.

I consulted the internet. TV listings informed me that I was watching the Boulder Acoustic Society, and further search lead me to this Daily Reporter article: Boulder Acoustic Society next in House Concert series. It turns out that this took place just down the street from me at the home of Martin Arthur.

I ended up watching the entire rest of the concert on TV (the name of the band and their website was eventually displayed on TV, albiet with an incorrect URL), meanwhile, I perused the band's website.

My thoughts:
1. I don't get the Daily Reporter. Clearly if I did I would have had the option of seeing the concert first hand.
a. What else am I missing because I don't get the paper?
b. How could publicity for cultural happenings be improved?
2. This Martin Arthur man has a sweet living room.
3. You gotta work to know what's up, or you'll miss it.