Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A little holiday consumerism:

Black Friday ads reminded me that Christmas is coming and it's OK to start shopping now. I don't know yet what presents to get, but I'm ready in willing to spend money on whatever strikes my fancy, needed or not. It's the season to buy, and until I get those gift ideas, I will buy for myself. Here are a few (inexpensive) things I'd like to highlight:



Tea-light-candle-holder-fruit-carver.
This little tool cuts a precise, cylindrical, tea-light-sized hole into fruit. It's available at the Floral counter at Hy-Vee for $7.99. I used it to make granny-smith candle holders to adorn the table at Thanksgiving. Further holiday entertaining will provide opportunities to use this novelty. The package suggests that the tool can also be used to make fruit into dipping bowls, but you can't light dip on fire.



Merry Christmas candles
Found at Evie's Hallmark at Southpark Mall for $2.95. I love Christmas and I love stuff that lights up, and candles that say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" will add a delightful touch of kitsch to this year's Yule Log cake.



Tea filters
A tea-less tea bag. Shaky Tree is advertising (via MySpace Bulletin) gift ideas such as gift certificates, t-shirts, and gift baskets. But one product that caught my eye awhile ago is these tea bags for use with your own loose tea. Normally I would use a tea ball, but I do like to keep a tea bag in my wallet. This would be a way to do it. A box of 100 for around $5 at the Tree. I think this would be a great gift idea if you're putting together a gift basket of tea-related items.

No comments: